Friday, October 11, 2013

Filipino Fridays (1): Hello, Reader!


Hello! It’s time to be excited once more. The 3rd Filipino Reader Conference is taking place at the Rizal Library of the Ateneo de Manila University, on November 9, 2013.  And in anticipation comes our favorite weekly meme, Filipino Friday!


Filipino Friday (1):
"Hello, Reader! Let’s get to know you, and more importantly, what kind of reader are you? Laura E. Kelly released an infographic about Reader species — under what Domain/Class/Family/Genus/Species do you fall under? Give examples, and feel free to talk about why you belong to that species. Who knows, you may find readers in your own genus. ;)"

Visit Laura-e-Kelly.com for more about books, reading, and authors.

Looking at the graph, it seemed easy enough, but w
hen I actually thought about it, I’m pretty diverse.  Details, details!  Besides, those terms seemed to tag, hahaha.

Book Lovers> Compulsive>

  • The Chronological Reader:  Yes, I do feel compelled to read every book in the series I started.
  • The Multitasker:   Guilty as charged!  There’s always a different book, from what I read the whole day, that goes to bed with me.    

Book Lovers> Situational>

  • The Kindle Convert:  It’s very convenient for me to have my e-reader app anywhere, anytime, and without the inconvenience of weight or space.
  • The Travelling Reader:  not that this is a favorite, but I lapse into reading whenever I feel restless during travels. 
  • The Audiobook Listener:  I am no marathon runner, but I walk around the park listening to an audiobook whenever time permits.  Also, I found out that reading along the audiobook can turn a long-winded book engrossing.

Book Lovers> Social>

  • The Sharer Screamer:  I just did something like this last month, and this one reminded me to post something about it soon. We all have the need to share the love for reading, right?

Book Lovers> Free-Range>

  • The “It’s Complicated” Reader:  Oh, dear!  This one describes me best, I believe.  I’m sure a mix of something and everything, so I disagree to be confined with a label.

Other Readers> Conflicted>

  • Delayed Onset Reader:  You haven’t seen my Mt. TBR yet? It’s HUGE! LOL

So, there you go.  It felt like a confession of sorts. Glad that it’s out there though.
How about you? What kind of reader are you? (> . *)  





8 comments:

  1. I always envy people who can listen to audiobooks from the beginning till end. I've tried it a couple of times but I always get adhd-ish and get distracted by the most trivial things but I haven't tried reading and listening to a book simultaneously. I shall try that sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Chel!
      The first is always the hard part. When I started listening to audiobooks before, I fall asleep after a few minutes. Then, I discovered that listening to audiobooks while walking made me absorb more. The rest is history.

      Perhaps you should give it another try. :)

      Delete
  2. I am a Kindle Convert, Sharer Screamer, and an It's Complicated reader too. Now that I think about it, I also do some multitasking reading. But not if I can help it though. My normal routine is to do one at a time. The most I can do is probably three books at a time. And one or two has to be short, like kidlit or a novella.

    If you find yourself reading a series and somewhere along, say book 2, or 3 or 4, you find that you aren't that into it anymore, do you still read it till the very end? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Tin!
      So far, I haven't experience losing interest in any series I've started. I am actually anticipating each of them. For example, I have been following the Alex Cross series by James Patterson for almost 2 decades now.

      Delete
  3. My Kindle have been very convenient for me ..I don't leave home without it. --I do audio too ..at home while I'm doing house chores, but I admit I get distracted easily and loose a bit here and there ..though less with the portability of "Playaway".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jinky!
      I've heard about those neat Playaway features. Unfortunately, the gadget is not readily available here in the Philippines. :)

      Delete
  4. What is a Kindle? What on earth is an ebook? LOL!

    Seriously, I agree with you on audiobooks. I love them especially when the narrator has an animated or a very dramatic voice. Yes, listening to them may take longer than reading the book, but still, same rewarding experience. Perhaps even more with audiobooks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kindle: a bling for book nerds, like us. LOL!
      BTW, I recently had Jeremy Irons narrate Lolita (by Vladimir Nabokov) on audio, it was freakingly awesome! ♥

      Delete